Friday 28 March 2008

Lighthunters...

'Cazadores de Luz' are a group of 100 Spanish photographers who have set up there own private forum in an attempt to create an environment in which their collective talent can grow.

You may have read an article in El Pais or seen them on tve2, but they have been doing a bit of self promotion recently. There is also a book available, produced by National Geographic to showcase their best images.

As I mention earlier, their forums can't be read and are invitation only, so I can't really comment on the content, but there is also a blog and their galleries at Pbase. I have to admit that the watermark they put over all their images somewhat spoils the enjoyment and I think for images of such a low resolution its a bit over the top (comments left by many people are complaining about the same thing).

Are they being elitist by not sharing their forum, are they paranoid because they keep putting watermarks on their images or are they arrogant because they think their images are so good that everyone will want to steal them. You decide... it would be interesting to hear your comments...

1 comment:

Nick said...

First, I am fine with people having their private forum. Not everything people do or say has/needs to be public.

Most of the pictures in the gallery look quite nice I must say. From what I understand these boys & girls are all engaged in photography professionally.

I do agree that the watermarks are a bit of a nuisance and not quite necesarry. (I'm sure some photoshop wizards -- hope to be one soon after viewing all the photoshop workbench videos ;-) -- out there are able to remove these easily).

Maybe the national geographic book shows the same pictures and by using the watermark & low resolution they (and the photographers?) think they can get more people to buy the book?

I do think it is rather arrogant to create your own in-crowd group and proclaim it to be the best in Spain (if I understand correctly...). I'm sure there is plenty of equal (or better) photographers around. Bit of a shame National geographic fell for it...

But, then again I get more inspiration from watermarked images than from no images....